Technology Development Program – Software Engineering Associate
What is it Like to Work in Technology at Optum?
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet – technology and health care – with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get: Leading-edge solutions that improve the lives of millions. At Optum, our approach to technology isn’t about designing another app to fix health care. It’s about connecting patients and members to their care teams, payers to providers, and ultimately connecting a disconnected health system so that it works better for the people it was created to serve.
Our global technology team consists of more than 30,000 innovators from around the world passionate about using technology to improve the lives of people and communities. We are modernizing the health care system through modern analytics, comprehensive clinical expertise, innovative technologies and extensive experience in improving operational and clinical performance.
As part of our team, you will be provided opportunities to channel your curiosity into initiative, working alongside distinguished engineers and developers pursuing innovations that improve the health care experience for everyone. We encourage you to dive in, explore and ask questions about creative ways to use technology to help make the health care system work like an actual system.
Optum’s Technology Development Program
The Technology Development Program (TDP) at Optum is a 12 month program with the option of rotating into a new role after the first six months in the program. As a TDP associate, you’ll gain invaluable experience and learn from leading innovators as a member of one or more of our many technology teams engaged in life-changing work. TDP offers associate positions in a variety of domains, as well as a development curriculum, mentoring from technology leaders, networking and collaboration opportunities.
Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services company serving more than 127 million consumers, delivering the right care when and how it’s needed. We are dedicated to evolving health care so everyone can have the opportunity to live their healthiest life.
Key Information Regarding Software Engineering:
Software engineering is the application of engineering to the design, development, implementation, testing and maintenance of software in a systematic method. The roles in this function will cover all primary development activity across all technology functions that ensure we deliver code with high quality for our applications, products and services and to understand customer needs and to develop product roadmaps.
Associate will write software focused on building systems that front-end engineers integrate with and data engineers use, produces REST APIs, messaging systems, and other ways of communicating business processes via software services. Additionally, this could be someone who enjoys building things people interact with directly, writing websites, mobile apps, and/or desktop apps to enable people to interact with our systems in a user-friendly and accessible way.
- The TDP Associate will work with their manager to determine the best work arrangement for their situation (in office, hybrid) though they will need to be within a commutable distance to one of our core locations to bring back the collaborative and community aspects of the program. The following are locations where this role will be available:
- Austin, TX
- Basking Ridge, NJ
- Boston, MA
- Cypress, CA
- Eden Prairie, MN
- Hartford, CT
- Irvine, CA
- Phoenix, AZ
- Raleigh, NC
- Schaumburg, IL
- TDP will be offering two start dates for 2023 which you are able to choose from, depending on your graduation and what works best with your schedule/plans:
- January 2023
- July 2023
- Sponsorship is not available for this position
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for potential future roles.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, or other Engineering degree, IT, MIS, other technology related fields i.e., Statistics, Actuary, Cyber-security, etc., or 2-year technical college.
- Currently in final year of obtaining a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited college/university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, or other Engineering degree, IT, MIS, other technology related fields i.e., Statistics, Actuary, Cyber-security, etc., or 2-year technical college, or obtained degree within the last 24 months
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization. F-1 visa holders with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) who will require visa sponsorship, TN visa holders, current H-1B visa holders, and/or those requiring green card sponsorship will not be considered
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proficient in one or more coding languages (Example: Python, Java, C, SQL, .NET)
- Involvement in any additional technical activities (Robotics, Comp. Science/Tech clubs, Tech or Engineering side projects, GitHub, etc.) and/or tech related employment experience