Research Analyst - Information Technologies/Cyberspace Operations
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a non-profit federally funded research and development center think tank. IDA provides answers to questions posed by the Department of Defense (DoD) and other agencies that require careful analysis. IDA’s goal is to deliver objective, evidence-based, actionable analyses and advice focused on results. The Information Technology and Systems Division (ITSD) focuses on cybersecurity, other cyberspace challenges of national and global significance, and information technologies such as artificial intelligence, communications, and microelectronics. ITSD approaches the growing cyber threat from the perspectives of operations and business, technology and systems, and policy and law, with a particular emphasis on where and how these perspectives intersect. This intersection, also known as “cyber across the seams,” addresses the evolution of cyber as a national security function.
ITSD has multiple Research Analyst openings focused on cybersecurity, other cyberspace challenges, and information technologies including artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science, NLP, communications, and microelectronics. Research Analysts are highly qualified, self-starting professionals sought to advise DoD officials and selected audiences on cybersecurity challenges of national and global significance. Research Analysts are expected to develop the broader context (the big picture) for problems facing mid-level managers, senior executives, and military officials across the Federal government. Research Analysts are required to identify key components, while creating and executing appropriate analytic methodologies, and clearly conveying their findings to specialists and non-specialists alike. The position requires strong communication skills, and the candidate must be able to speak and write effectively, think analytically, and work independently.
- A minimum of:
- A PhD in Computer Science, Information Systems, Cyber Security, Data Science, Engineering, Physics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, National Security, or Political Science/Public Policy coupled with experience in research, systems analysis/ engineering, or cyber policy analysis; OR
- A Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Cyber Security, Data Science, Engineering, Physics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, National Security, or Political Science/Public Policy coupled with 10+ years’ experience in research, systems analysis/ engineering, or cyber policy analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to identify sources, assemble and organize large, complex data sets for subsequent quantitative and qualitative analyses is desired.
- US citizenship is required.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
IDA is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a fair recruiting process and working environment free from discrimination. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Click here to learn more about IDA's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.